How to Make Vertical Axis Wind Turbine VAWT (With Pictures and Video)
Wind turbines are used to harness wind power. There are different types of wind turbines. They are mainly classified as horizontal axis wind turbines and vertical axis wind turbines. Construction and working principles of a wind turbine can be easily understood from a working model. That's why I am always engaged in making working models of such devices, especially renewable energy harnessing devices. We have already discussed how to make small wind turbine (Horizontal axis). Today we are going to discuss How to Make Vertical Axis Wind Turbine (VAWT).
How to Make Vertical Axis Wind Turbine(VAWT) Video
Let's Make Vertical Axis Wind Turbine (VAWT) today.
Things needed to Make Vertical Axis Wind Turbine
- 4'' PVC Pipe 30 cm in length
- ACP Sheet 30cm in length
- Dynamo 3-5 Volt
- PVC or CPVC Fittings 3T's and 4 Elbows
- Pieces of PVC or CPVC Pipe
- L-Clamp Steel 4
- Plate washer 2'' IN Dia- 2
- GI Nut that suits Dynamo Pulley
- Connecting Wires
- 3/4'' Cycle Screws 30
Tools needed to Make Vertical Axis Wind Turbine
- Angle Grinder
- Drilling machine
- 6mm drill bit
- Welding machine (optional)
- Spanner set
- Other necessary equipment
How to Make Vertical Axis Wind Turbine (VAWT)
- Take PVC Pipe having 4inch diameter and 30 cm length.
- Axially divide it into 4 equal parts using an angle grinder
- Carefully use angle grinder
- Make holes on one side of the PVC using 6mm drill bit[gallery columns="2" size="medium" ids="978,977"]
- Cut 4 pieces of ACP Sheet having 30 cm in length and 6 cm in width
- Mark holes on ACP from PVC Pieces and make holes Using 6mm drill bit.
- [gallery columns="1" size="medium" ids="983"]
- Buy 4 steel L-clamps and cut it into required length (12 cm * 6 cm) using an angle grinder.
- Take care and wear glasses while using an angle grinder.
- [gallery columns="1" size="medium" ids="988"]
- Take GI Plate washer 2'' in diameter
- Take a GI nut that suits dynamo pulley
- Weld GI Nut at the center of the plate washer
- Then weld all 4 L-Clamps on the plate washer
- Propeller frame is ready.
- [gallery columns="4" size="medium" ids="981,982,973,987"]
- Connect ACP Sheets and PVC pieces together using cycle screws.
- Use a spanner to tighten it.
- Then connect these propeller blades on propeller frame.
- Wind turbine propeller is ready.
- [gallery size="medium" ids="987,975,976"]
- Buy PVC or CPVC fittings (4 elbows, 3 T's).
- Join these components together to make wind turbine base.
- Connect the wire to the dynamo and fix it on wind turbine base.
- [gallery size="medium" ids="984,985,986"]
- Place propeller on the wind turbine base.
- Vertical axis wind turbine is ready.
- Place the wind turbine in front of a Fan.
- Yeah. It's working fine
- Check the output voltage using a multimeter.
- [gallery size="medium" columns="1" ids="980"]
Vertical axis wind turbine is ready
This vertical axis wind turbine is just a working model. So output voltage would be very low. If you have a high-performance dynamo and even larger wind turbine propeller you can recharge your smartphone. You can also use a power bank to store the energy generated by the wind turbine. make your own power bank today.
Recommending to Read: Make small wind turbine (horizontal axis).
Now we have learned to make vertical axis wind turbine. Now is the time to Make small wind turbine (horizontal axis). Share this DIY Wind turbine Guide with your friends.